Thursday, March 18, 2010

Organic Cotton

The winter edition of Wild Fibers had a really interesting article about an organic cotton farm in Northern California. I was so inspired that I had to give it a try. The fibre is sold as both yarn and sliver, it was definitely the sliver I wanted. Spinning it was interesting; with a very short staple length it required some practice before I got it down. I ended up splitting the fibre in half three times to get a good spinning thickness, then plying it together to make sure it would all stay together.

But the coolest thing is when you set the twist. It has to be boiled, as opposed to wool which has to be treated so gently to prevent it from felting. The hot water causes the colour of the fibre to deepen so this beautiful soft green colour in the boiling water is much darker, and still so lovely!

At the moment I'm knitting it up into a sweater for a soon-to-arrive baby, it is so so soft and will be perfect.

The next skein might make it into the shop if I can keep myself from knitting that up for Olivia...

No comments:

Post a Comment