Monday, June 10, 2013

I'm trying to make a line of pots that I'm really happy with.

I say "a line of pots," but I don't really want to think of them that way, I'm just not sure how else to phrase it.  A bunch of pots?  A style of pots?  Maybe that's the thing, thinking of what I make as "lines" rather than as simply different ways of creating and surfacing them.  They are in constant evolution, really.  I want them to be interesting, both to me and to the user.  I want people to connect to them, and to enjoy their food just that little bit more when they eat or drink from them.

But what is the right pot?  I *think* I have the glaze colours down, ones that I like and that fit the mood  I'm trying to present, and my personality.  I like the textures I've been working with.  I enjoy both throwing and hand-building.  But something still isn't quite working.  It's closer than it's ever been, but still not exact.

I've got a ton of ideas, pictures in my mind of how they look, but not quite the time required to produce them fluidly.  And then, should I use both white and brown clay?  My heart says use brown, but should I provide other glaze colour options?  Maybe not.  Am I working too hard to produce a "product," rather than an expression?

So many questions!! :-)  This is how my mind works.  Questioning myself all the time rather than just making.

For the Farmer's Market I'm working on some pieces that I've never made before--mortar and pestles.  I think the first ones will be for pressing garlic cloves.  My sister will give one a try so hopefully I'll get some good feedback on them.  Also French butter dishes.  That's new but could be an interesting item.  For the market I'm trying to think a lot about food prep and serving.

This is an example of my latest favourite "way of making:"




That's a slab built, textured sandwich plate and small soup bowl.  The glaze is painted in the circles, then wiped off the raised surface.  The glaze recipe was given to me by a friend.  It leaves such a lovely glow on the clay.  I just love it.  And it's fun to see people looking at them, picking them up and fitting their fingers into the grooves.

2 comments: